Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Tres Leches Recipe



 

     The tres leches from Porto’s Bakery is magical! People go nuts on the guava-cheese pastry and the potato balls; but my absolute favorite confection thus far, is that spongy, milky, heavenly cake. The first time I had some was when my boyfriend, Chris, brought it to me after a six hour drive back from his hometown in the LA area. I haven’t tried that many, but I know I love that cake, and I trust Porto’s to make it.When I don’t have them though, which are most days, I go to the next best thing: my kitchen. I looked at a couple recipes and it’s actually quite easy to make, just time consuming. So, I took bits and pieces from the recipes I liked from allrecipes.com and made some additions here and there.


      I added almond extract to the cake and whipped cream because I like almond flavored anything- milk tea, cookies, muffins, pudding, and the list goes on. The flavor can be quite pronounced, so if you’re not sure you’ll love it, you can always adjust according to taste or use only vanilla. In my humble opinion, it’s a lovely, fragrant addition to this cake and pairs nicely with the sweetness of the condensed milk. If you prefer to mute the sweetness a bit, you can lessen the sugar and let the condensed milk do the work.

Note: most folks would recommend using whole milk in combination with the condensed milk and evaporated milk. I say yes, that will probably taste the best; but I had low fat on hand, so I used that. 

     After all the mixing, folding, whipping, and soaking, I got this beaut:




Utensils:

8x11 baking pan (9x13 will also work)
1 large mixing bowl
1 medium sized bowl
Small bowl (to separate egg whites from yolk)
Rubber spatula
Hand-mixer (optional)
Whisk
Measuring Cups

Ingredients:

Cake

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
4 eggs (separate whites and yolks)
14 oz. condensed milk
2 cups milk 
12 oz. evaporated milk
½  teaspoon almond extract
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons baking powder
½ cup butter
Cinnamon (optional to taste)


Whipped Cream (optional)

2 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
½ cup sugar (to taste)
1/3 teaspoon almond extract
2/3 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. I used the hand-mixer at first, but opted for the fork because I like it better.

3. Separate egg whites from yolks. Add yolks to the butter/sugar, and mix well.

4. Add flour and baking powder to the mixture.

5. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until it peaks. Fold the egg whites into the batter until blended.

6. Transfer the batter to a baking pan and spread evenly. Bake for 30 minutes.

7. Combine 3 milks and set aside in the refrigerator.

8. While the cake bakes, combine ingredients for whipped cream and whisk or use the hand-mixer until the cream is fluffy.

9. Chill the whipped cream in the refrigerator.

10. When the cake is done, poke holes throughout with a fork and leave it to cool. Then, pour the milk mixture and allow it to soak in the fridge for at least an hour or until absorbed.

11. After soaking and chilling, spread whipped cream and sprinkle cinnamon over the top and serve.


Keep close on Bloglovin!




2 comments:

  1. MMMMM that looks delish!!! If you ever need help finishing any (seems unlikely :( ), you can always call on us! ;) (Seriously though, can I try it someday???)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing! I will let you know next time!

      Delete